Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 42: Here Comes the Sun, Doo Doo Doo Doo!

There is sunshine in Brus-sels today!!! Hurrah I think that today is the first day in about 3 months that is hasn't been cloudy and grey. I'm so happy! 

Last Monday we had dinner at a member's house. Wilma is from the Philippines. She had also invited Audrie over. Audrie is a less active young mother with the cutest little baby in the world. Wilma made chicken and it was so good. We talked a lot and Audrie said that she would come to church if we came and picked her up. On Sunday we got up at 6 to get ready and pick her up. It is amazing to me how empty a city feels at 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning. It was so calm and peaceful. Audrie was ready when we got there and looking so cute, you could just see how happy she was to be at church. I think that is one of my favorite things about being a missionary, seeing the happiness that people find from living the gospel. That is truly where happiness lies. 

Also last Monday for P-day we went to a really beautiful humongous park, there were lots of lawns, statues, ponds, and foresty places. There was a pond with turtles sunning themselves and my favorite part being that we found Pemberly, though no Colin Firths. The park was also the place where Belgium and Luxembourg were dedicated for missionary work. I have a copy of the dedication prayer, it has some amazing promises for the work in Belgium. I am grateful that I am a part of it.







Pepin is a recent convert that Soeur McClaine taught and baptised, he had to go back to Africa Sunday for work, so we had a party yesterday at church for him. There aren't any churches in his country so we showed him lds.org
 so he can watch conference talks on Sundays. We are trying to get more info on the closest churches for him as well. He is so excited about the gospel and we talked a lot about being a missionary and teaching the people back home about the gospel. I think that he will.
  
Soeur McClaine and I made lasagne for dinner Friday night. I know that some of you will be shocked to hear it but we did and it was delicious. As you can see by Soeur McClaine's face we were very excited about it. 




One of our ami's, Rusty is from Romania, and he speaks practically perfect English. He is about 30 and has studied a lot of religions and faiths and works very hard to be spiritual. He works in what he calls a "hippie shop." So of course I like pretty much everything in it. It is mostly things from India, and they are all bright colored. He gets really bored at work so we sometimes go and see him there. It is amazing how much knowledge he already has. He basically believes in the Plan of Salvation already. It is a testimony to me that each of us has the light of Christ and that God gives us light and knowledge as we search for it. The Holy Ghost really does testify of the truth of all things, to all the humble seekers of truth. I hope that Rusty will decide some day to get baptized because the way the Church is set up will help him to reach the level of spirituality that he is searching for. 

I am loving Brussels there are so many things to learn and so many different interesting people to meet. The diversity is wonderful and there is also so much work to be done. I am excited to do it. 

Much love!!

Soeur Gaelin Turney  

No comments:

Post a Comment