Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 35: I Feel a Bit Like Wally Kessler I Think, Not the Ordinary

Bonjour tout le monde!

This week was pretty amazing, mainly because Jean Baptiste wants to be baptized!!!!!  We had 4 rendez-vous with him last week, he is so receptive of the gospel. And he loves learning about our church. Wednesday we talked about the plan of Salvation, and he was so grateful to understand why we are here on earth and that God has a plan for us and that there is a reason that the earth was created. Friday we talked about Joseph Smith and priesthood authority and the power of the Holy Ghost.  He said, so my baptism with the Catholics isn't valid because they don't have the authority, yes!! We had the November 2010 issue of the Liahona magazine and we showed him the picture of President Monson and the apostles and explained what the Liahona is. He was so excited he practically snatched it out of Soeur Cope's hands and started reading it. He stopped at the talk "Rest Unto Your Souls" by Elder Malm. He said this is what I am searching for, I want rest for my soul. We told him he could have it. We let him keep the Ensign because he was so excited about it. The next day, Saturday, he was so happy about the Liahona, he told us he had read all evening and some more this morning. We talked about how it is through the cleansing power of the Holy Ghost that he can have the rest he is looking for, and cleansing comes with baptism. We talked some more and he asked us what he has to do to be baptized in our church, it was so amazing. We are hoping to have his baptism the 2nd of July, I am so happy!! Sunday was fast and testimony meeting because we had Stake Conference last week, he fasted and he loved testimony meeting. I think he likes the involvement that our church has, it is an active religion. He also likes that we can share our ideas and discuss things openly in Sunday school. He truly amazes me. We had a lesson after church with Jean Baptiste and Soeur Stumont, about the Word of Wisdom it was really good. He liked the part about the destroying angel passing us by. He told soeur Stumont that he like us and that I taught with a stick in hand like Moses and Soeur Cope is loving like Jesus. I don't really know what that means, I felt that I was being loving but I guess things come out more blunted than I think they do. Ah, well it hasn't seemed to hinder his progress at all. 

It is a little weird to think that transfers happened this week, our district meeting on Tuesday seems so long ago. Our new Zone leader who is replacing Elder McQuay is called Elder Smith. He is from Farmington, Utah and is a gymnast and wants to work for Cirque du Soleil when he grows up which I think is pretty cool. We also found out that he is super good at Ping Pong. He beat us all miserably at Samedi sports. I think I am slightly better than when we first started.  The goal is to be an amazing Ping Pongist by the time I get home.  

On our way home from church we stopped in a park to do some contacting. We met a cute Italian lady in her 80s. She has a very strong catholic background and she talked with us for about half an hour, about her experiences at church when she was a girl. We asked if we could see her again and she said yes. We saw her today at 3 she talked about her family and about how families today are falling apart, parents don't take care of their children, girls are wearing practically nothing in public, the inequality and hard things in the world. We told her about how our church has meetings to help the youth have standards.   She also asked if we were Jehovah's Witnesses, when we told her no, she went on a tirade about how she hates them. I was a little taken aback by some of the things she said she didn't like about them because we do the same things but we didn't mention that. All her concerns could be answered by the gospel but we both felt we have to approach it delicately. So, we will continue to see her, and testify of things gently. We did pray with her before we left though, and I think she really liked it. So, we shall see. 

I love you all,

Soeur Gaelin Turney

No comments:

Post a Comment