Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 68: Freedom

Howdy!

This week we had Zone Conference, it always gives a huge spiritual boost, I wish you could all come to one. It was amazing the first half was a answer all the prayers that Sister Turney has said in the past two weeks. Soeur Poznanski talked about the power of baring testimony and the importance that it has in the conversion of our amis, President Poznanski covered lots of subjects, but the one that stuck out to me the most was about the power and authority of our calling as missionaries. He told us sisters that we were also acting with the power of the priesthood because we were set apart by someone who holds the priesthood and that as such we have the same blessings but also the same responsibilities as priesthood holders. It was very interesting to me, and it made me think of the scripture that talks about every man learning his duty and fulfilling it and those that don't are in a lot of trouble. I think I might study the Doctrine and Covenants a bit more...

The Assistants to the President did a training about contacting that they entitled ''Get the Glow'' There are lots of stories about people who see the missionaries and there is a light around them, they are shining and angelic. They talked about how we do not even realize the presence that is with us because we are missionaries. It is not us that is doing the glowing. However it is very important for us, especially when we are contacting to have that glow because it makes people want to know more, and it is the elect, the prepared people that will recognize us. They said that the way to get the glow is by developing Christlike attributes. There is an entire chapter in Preach My Gospel about developing Christlike attributes. I counted and there are the same number of attributes as I have weeks left, so I set the goal to work on a different one every week. Soeur Dremeaux and I talked about it and we both had decided individually to work on Diligence. So, we have been trying very hard to be diligent in all things. 

Saturday we had a very long day of contacting, and beginning is always the hardest. But we tried very hard to have faith and hope and a good attitude. We found three people, gave out two copies of the Book of Mormon, fixed two and a half rendez-vous and got two phone numbers. All three were during the last part of the time blocks for the specific areas that we were in. It is amazing that Heavenly Father gives us experiences that teach us and help us in our efforts to progress and become like him. I am learning how to include Him in my plans and goals for myself. I find that there are moments throughout my day that I need to pray. There is a quote from President Monson that talks about how he would be literally lost without his relationship with God through prayer. I think in a small way I understand what he means. 

I have been thinking a lot about the progression that I have made spiritually during my mission. It is amazing to see how far that i have come, and yet i still have so far to go. I want so much to continue, I am so happy. This morning I read in Helaman 14:30-31. I love part that says ''ye are free',' because I feel free. I don't know that I have ever had more rules or restrictions about what I can or can't do, but because they are from God, they make me free. I know that freedom is what many people are searching for, and we are so lucky to truly have it. ''The truth shall make you free,'' we have the truth and as I apply the truths I learn in my life I become free. That is the message that we have to share, true freedom and pure love. We are seriously so blessed. ;) 

All my love and prayers,

Sister Gaelin Turney

No comments:

Post a Comment