Friday, November 26, 2010

Week 6: A Mystery Revealed, or Thanksgiving in the MTC

Hello Everyone!
So, I just realized that this is the 6th week I 've been at the MTC. That is so crazy to me, it feels like I got here 2 days ago. AAAARGH!!!! Oh yes, and an explanation about last weeks subject. In French the expression for "that's cute" is "c'est Chou" which literally translated is "that's cabbage" Sorry, I ran out of time and forgot to explain.
On Tuesday there was a blizzard snow warning going around. All of the teachers were told to go home at 3:00 so they wouldn't get stuck in the storm, as it was supposed to be a really bad one. We were really excited about it, though it was a little odd because everyone who wasn't absolutely essential to running the MTC were sent home. It felt a little like we were in the middle of a war during a blackout and we were left in the bunkers to fend for ourselves. So there was a lot of hype about the storm. When we woke up there wasn't even half an inch on the ground. It was very anticlimactic.
Thanksgiving was amazing!!! They gave us so much time for our meals. We had an hour and a half for breakfast and 2 hours for lunch which was the main thanksgiving meal. We had breakfast at 7:00, at 10:00 we had a morning devotional. Elder Holland and his entire family came to be with us. His Grandchildren sang "Whenever I Hear the Song of a Bird" it was so cute. Elder Holland told us that for Thanksgiving we were a part of his family, so I can say that I had Thanksgiving with Elder Holland. I took 2 pages of notes on the things he said. He talked a lot about the plan that God has for each of us and that he knows our names. He knows our first name. He also talked of Christ and what he did for us. Elder Holland's testimony and knowledge of Christ is so amazing, and he really made me think about my relationship with Christ. 

After The Devotional we had our turkey dinner, that was the only time I felt a little lonely, but it was mostly because they didn't have chocolate cake, and really that is my favorite part about Thanksgiving for me. After lunch we had some down time and our district shared family pictures and talked about our families. I realized I don't have a family picture, I don't have any pictures at all. So, I drew our family so they could have a visual. I think it turned out quite well. Then we Had a service project, we assembled kits to bake the school supply backpacks. Our zone was given the task of cutting out fabric pieces. We rocked it, we were such a well oiled machine that we finished a half an hour early. They told us later that as an MTC we made 33,400 kits. So cool. 

After that we went back to the residence halls for our sack dinner, nasty sandwiches, which I ate only the bread lemonade and cookies, I made some popcorn and ate the last of the Christmas balls that mom sent me. We then had a "Program." We weren't really sure what is was going to be, but it turned out well. I was a fireside thing about the Book of Mormon. Then we had the "Thankfulness Fireside" where about 30 missionaries were able to share what they were thankful for. All in all it was a great Thanksgiving, I really enjoyed it. I love you all and am so grateful for the opportunity I have to be a missionary and for your support.
Love always,
Soeur Turney

No comments:

Post a Comment